#20. Ta-ha *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Ta Ha.
2. We have not sent down the Qur'an to thee to be (an occasion)
for thy distress
3. But only as an admonition to those who fear (Allah)
4. A revelation from Him Who created the earth and the heavens on
5. (Allah) Most Gracious is firmly established on the throne (of
6. To Him belongs what is in the heavens and on earth and all
between them and all beneath the soil
7. If thou pronounce the word aloud (it is no matter): for verily
He knoweth what is secret and what is yet more hidden
8. Allah! there is no god but He! To Him belong the Most
9. Has the story of Moses reached thee?
10. Behold he saw a fire: so he said to his family "Tarry ye; I
perceive a fire; perhaps I can bring you some burning brand
therefrom or find some guidance at the fire."
11. But when he came to the fire a voice was heard: "O Moses!
12. "Verily I am thy Lord! Therefore (in My presence) put off thy
shoes: thou art in the sacred valley Tuwa
13. "I have chosen thee: listen then to the inspiration (sent to
14. "Verily I am Allah: there is no god but I: so serve thou me
(only) and establish regular prayer for celebrating My praise
15. "Verily the Hour is coming My design is to keep it hidden for
every soul to receive its reward by the measure of its endeavor
16. "Therefore let not such as believe not therein but follow
their own lusts divert thee therefrom lest thou perish!"
17. And what is that in thy right hand O Moses?"
18. He said "It is my rod: on it I lean; with it I beat down
fodder for my flocks; and in it I find other uses."
19. (Allah) said "Throw it O Moses!"
20. He threw it and behold! it was a snake active in motion
21. (Allah) said "Seize it and fear not: We shall return it at
once to its former condition"
22. Now draw thy hand close to thy side: it shall come forth
white (and shining) without harm (or stain) as another Sign
23. "In order that We may show thee (two) of Our Greater Signs.
24. "Go thou to Pharaoh for he had indeed transgressed all
25. (Moses) said: "O my Lord! expand me my breast;"
26. "Ease my task for me
27. "And remove the impediment from my speech
28. "So they may understand what I say:
29. "And give me a Minister from my family
30. "Aaron my brother
31. "Add to my strength through him
32. "And make him share my task"
33. "That we may celebrate Thy praise without stint
34. "And remember Thee without stint
35. For Thou art He that (ever) regardeth us."
36. (Allah) said: "Granted is thy prayer O Moses!"
37. "And indeed We conferred a favor on thee another time
38. "Behold! We sent to thy mother by inspiration the message:
39. " `Throw (the child) into the chest and throw (the chest)
into the river: the river will cast him up on the bank and he
will be taken up by one who is an enemy to Me and an enemy to
him': but I cast (the garment of) love over thee from Me: and
(this) in order that thou mayest be reared under Mine eye.
40. "Behold! thy sister goeth forth and saith `Shall I show you
one who will nurse and rear the (child)?' So We brought thee back
to thy mother that her eye might be cooled and she should not
grieve. Then thou didst slay a man but We saved thee from trouble
and We tired thee in various ways. Then didst thou tarry a number
of years with the people of Midian. Then didst thou come hither
as ordained O Moses!
41. "And I have prepared thee for Myself (for service)"
42. "Go thou and thy brother with My Signs and slacken not either
of you in keeping Me in remembrance
43. "Go both of you to Pharaoh for he has indeed transgressed all
44. "But speak to him mildly; perchance he may take warning or
45. They (Moses and Aaron) said: "Our Lord! we fear lest He
hasten with insolence against us or lest he transgress all
46. He said: "Fear not: for I am with you: I hear and see
47. "So go ye both to him and say `Verily we are apostles sent by
thy Lord: send forth therefore the Children of Israel with us and
afflict them not: with a Sign indeed have we come from thy Lord!
And peace to all who follow guidance!
48. " `Verily it has been revealed to us that the Penalty
(awaits) those who reject and turn away.'"
49. (When this message was delivered) (Pharaoh) said: "Who then O
Moses is the Lord of you two?"
50. He said: "Our Lord is He Who gave to each (created) thing its
form and nature and further gave (it) guidance."
51. (Pharaoh) said: "What then is the condition of previous
52. He replied: "The knowledge of that is with my Lord duly
recorded: my Lord never errs nor forgets
53. "He Who has made for you the earth like a carpet spread out;
has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels); and
has sent down water from the sky." With it have We produced
divers pairs of plants each separate from the others
54. Eat (for yourselves) and pasture your cattle: verily in this
are Signs for men endued with understanding
55. From the (earth) did We create you and into it shall We
return you and from it shall We bring you out once again
56. And We showed Pharaoh all Our Signs but he did reject and
57. He said: "Hast thou come to drive us out of our land with thy
magic O Moses?
58. "But we can surely produce magic to match thine! So make a
tryst between us and thee which we shall not fail to keep neither
we nor thou in a place where both shall have even chances."
59. Moses said: "Your tryst is the Day of the Festival and let
the people be assembled when the sun is well up."
60. So Pharaoh withdrew: he concerted his plan and then came
61. Moses said to him: "Woe to you! forge not ye a lie against
Allah lest He destroy you (at once) utterly by chastisement: the
forger must suffer frustration!"
62. So they disputed one with another over their affair but they
kept their talk secret
63. They said: "These two are certainly (expert) magicians: their
object is tok drive you out from your land with their magic and
to do away with your Most cherished institutions
64. "Therefore concert your plan. And then assemble in (serried)
ranks: he wins (all along) today who gains the upper hand."
65. They said: "O Moses! whether wilt thou that thou throw
(first) or that we be the first to throw?"
66. He said "Nay throw ye first!" Then behold their ropes and
their rods so it seemed to him on account of their magic began to
be in lively motion!
67. So Moses conceived in his mind a (sort of) fear
68. We said: "Fear not! for thou hast indeed the upper hand
69. "Throw that which is in thy right hand: quickly will it
swallow up that which they have faked. What they have faked is
but a magician's trick: and the magician thrives not (no matter)
where he goes."
70. So the magicians were thrown down to prostration: they said
"We believe in the Lord of Aaron and Moses."
71. (Pharaoh) said: "Believe ye in Him before I give you
permission? Surely this must be your leader who has taught you
magic! Be sure I will cut off your hands and feet on opposite
sides and I will have you crucified on trunks of palm-trees: So
shall ye know for certain which of us can give the more severe
and the more lasting Punishment!"
72. They said: "Never shall we regard thee as more than the Clear
Signs that have come to us or than Him Who created us! So decree
whatever thou desirest to decree: for thou canst only decree
(touching) the life of thist world
73. For us we have believed in our Lord: may He forgive us our
faults and the magic to which thou didst compel us: for Allah is
Best and Most Abiding."
74. Verily he who comes to his Lord as a sinner (at judgment) for
him is Hell therein shall he neither die nor live
75. But such as comes to Him as Believers who have worked
righteous deeds for them are ranks exalted
76. Gardens of Eternity beneath which flow rivers: they will
dwell therein for aye: such is the reward of those who purify
themselves (from evil)
77. We sent an inspiration to Moses: "Travel by night with my
servants and strike a dry path for them through the sea without
fear of being overtaken (by Pharaoh) and without (any other)
78. Then Pharaoh pursued them with his forces but the waters
completely overwhelmed them and covered them up
79. Pharaoh led his people astray instead of leading them aright
80. O ye Children of Israel! We delivered you from your enemy and
We made a Covenant with you on the side of Mount (Sinai) and We
sent down to you Manna and quails:
81. (Saying): "Eat of the good things We have provided for your
sustenance but commit no excess therein lest My Wrath should
justly descend on you: and those on whom descends My Wrath do
82. "But without doubt I am (also) He that forgives again and
again to those who repent believe and do right who in fine are
ready to receive true guidance."
83. (When Moses was up on the mount Allah said:) "What made thee
hasten in advance of thy people O Moses?"
84. He replied: "Behold they are close on my footsteps: I
hastened to Thee o my Lord to please Thee."
85. (Allah) said: "We have tested thy people in thy absence: the
Samiri has led them astray."
86. So Moses returned to his people in state of indignation and
sorrow. He said: "O my people! did not your Lord make a handsome
promise to you? Did then the promise seem to you long (in
coming)? Or did ye desire that Wrath should descend from your
Lord on you and so ye broke your promise to me?"
87. They said: "We broke not the promise to thee as far as lay in
our power: but we were made to carry the weight of the ornaments
of the (whole) people and we threw them (into the fire) and that
was what the Samiri suggested
88. "Then he brought out (of the fire) before the (people) the
image of a calf: it seemed to low: so they said: `This is your
god and the god of Moses but (Moses) has forgotten!' "
89. Could they not see that it could not return them a word (for
answer) and that it had no power either to harm them or to do
90. Aaron had already before this said to them: "O my people! ye
are being tested in this: for verily your Lord is (Allah) Most
Gracious: so follow me and obey my command."
91. They had said: "We will not abandon this cult but we will
devote ourselves to it until Moses returns to us
92. (Moses) said: " O Aaron! what kept thee back when thou sawest
them going wrong
93. "From following me? Didst thou then disobey my order?"
94. (Aaron replied: "O son of my mother! seize (me not) by my
beard nor by (the hair of) my head! Truly I feared lest thou
shouldst say `Thou hast caused a division among the Children of
Israel and thou didst not respect my word!'"
95. (Moses) said: "What then is thy case O Samiri?"
96. He replied: "I saw what they saw not: so I took a handful (of
dust) from the footprint of the Apostle and threw it (into the
calf): thus did my soul suggest to me."
97. (Moses) said: "Get thee gone! but thy (punishment) in this
life will be that thou wilt say `Touch me not'; and moreover (for
a future penalty) thou hast a promise that will not fail: now
look at thy god of whom thou hast become a devoted worshipper: we
will certainly (melt) it in a blazing fire and scatter it
broadcast in the sea!"
98. But the god of you all is the One Allah: there is no god but
He: all things He comprehends in His knowledge
99. Thus do We relate to thee some stories of what happened
before: for We have sent thee a Message from Our own Presence
100. If any do turn away therefrom verily they will bear a burden
on the Day of Judgement
101. They will abide in this (state): and grievous will the
burden be to them on that Day
102. The Day when the Trumpet will be sounded: that Day We shall
gather the sinful blear-eyed (with terror)
103. In whispers will they consult each other: "Ye tarried not
longer than ten (Days)"
104. We know best what they will say when their leader most
eminent in Conduct will say: "Ye tarried not longer than a day!"
105. They ask thee concerning the mountains: say "My Lord will
uproot them and scatter them as dust;"
106. "He will leave them as plains smooth and level;"
107. Nothing crooked or curved wilt thou see in their place."
108. On that Day will they follow the Caller (straight): no
crookedness (can they show) him: all sounds shall humble
themselves in the presence of (Allah) Most Gracious: nothing
shalt thou hear but the tramp of their feet (as they march)
109. On that Day shall no intercession avail except for those for
whom permission has been granted by (Allah) Most Gracious and
whose word is acceptable to Him
110. He knows what (appears to His creatures as) before or after
or behind them: but they shall not compass it with their
111. (All) faces shall be humbled before (Him) the Living the
Self- Subsisting Eternal: hopeless indeed will be the man that
carries iniquity (on his back)
112. But he who works deeds of righteousness and has faith will
have no fear of harm nor of any curtailment (of what is his due)
113. Thus have we sent this down an Arabic Qur'an and explained
therein in detail some of the warnings in order that they may
fear Allah or that it may cause their remembrance (of Him)
114. High above all is Allah the King the Truth! Be not in haste
with the Qur'an before its revelation to thee is completed but
say "O my Lord! advance me in knowledge."
115. We had already beforehand taken the covenant of Adam but he
forgot: and We found on his part no firm resolve
116. When We said to the angels "Prostrate yourselves to Adam"
they prostrated themselves but not Iblis: he refused
117. Then We said: "O Adam! verily this is an enemy to thee and
thy wife: so let him not get you both out of the Garden so that
thou art landed in misery
118. "There is therein (enough provision) for thee not to go
hungry nor to go naked"
119. "Nor to suffer from thirst nor from the sun's heat."
120. But Satan whispered evil to him: he said "O Adam! shall I
lead thee to Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that never
121. In the result they both ate of the tree and so their
nakedness appeared to them: they began to sew together for their
covering leaves from the Garden: thus did Adam disobey His Lord
and allow himself to be seduced
122. But his Lord chose him (for His Grace): He turned to him and
gave him guidance
123. He said: "Get ye down both of you all together from the
Garden with enmity one to another; but if as is sure there comes
to you guidance from Me whosoever follows My guidance will not
lose his way nor fall into misery
124. "But whosoever turns away from My Message verily for him is
a life narrowed down and We shall raise him up blind on the Day
125. He will say: "O my Lord! why hast thou raised me up blind
while I had sight (before)?"
126. (Allah) will say: "Thus didst thou when Our Signs came unto
thee disregard them: so wilt thou this day be disregarded."
127. And thus do We recompense him who transgresses beyond bounds
and believes not in the Signs of his Lord: and the Penalty of the
Hereafter is far more grievous and more enduring
128. It is not a warning to such men (to call to mind) how many
generations before them We destroyed in whose haunts they (now)
move? Verily in this are Signs for men endued with understanding
129. Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from thy
Lord (their punishment) must necessarily have come; but there is
a term appointed (for respite)
130. Therefore be patient with what they say and celebrate
(constantly) the praises of thy Lord before the rising of the sun
and before its setting; yea celebrate them for part of the hours
of the night and at the sides of the day: that thou mayest have
131. Nor strain thine eyes in longing for the things We have
given for enjoyment to parties of them the splendor of the life
of this world through which We test them: but the provision of
thy Lord is better and more enduring
132. Enjoin prayer on thy people and be constant therein. We ask
thee not to provide sustenance: We provide it for thee. But the
(fruit of) the Hereafter is for Righteousness
133. They say: "Why does he not bring us a Sign from His Lord?"
Has not a clear Sign come to them of all that was in the former
Books of revelation?
134. And if We had inflicted on them a Penalty before this they
would have said: "Our Lord! if only Thou hadst sent us an apostle
we should certainly have followed Thy Signs before we were
humbled and put to shame."
135. Say: "Each one (of us) is waiting: wait ye therefore and
soon shall ye know who it is that is on the straight and even way
and who it is that has received guidance."
Back To Index Page