#23. Mumineen *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. The Believers must (eventually) win through
2. Those who humble themselves in their prayers
3. Who avoid vain talk
4. Who are active in deeds of charity
5. Who abstain from sex
6. Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond or (the
captives) whom their right hands possess for (in their case) they
are free from blamex
7. But those whose desires exceed those limits are transgressors
8. Those who faithfully observe their trust and their covenants
9. And who (strictly) guard their prayers
10. Those will be the heirs
11. Who will inherit Paradise: they will dwell therein (forever)
12. Man We did create from a quintessence (of clay)
13. Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest
14. Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then
of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then We made out of that
lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then We developed
out of it another creature: so blessed be Allah the Best to
15. After that at length ye will die
16. Again on the Day of Judgment will ye be raised up
17. And We have made above you seven tracts; and We are never
unmindful of (Our) Creation
18. And We send down water from the sky according to (due)
measure and We cause it to soak in the soil; and We certainly are
able to drain it off (with ease)
19. With it We grow for you gardens of date-palms and vines: in
them have ye abundant fruits: and of them ye eat (and have
20. Also a tree springing out of Mount Sinai which produces oil
and relish for those who use it for food
21. And in cattle (too) ye have an instructive example: from
within their bodies We produce (milk) for you to drink; there are
in them (besides) numerous (other) benefits for you; and of their
(meat) ye eat
22. And on them as well as in ships ye ride
23. (Further We sent a long line of prophets for your
instruction.) We sent Noah to his people: he said "O my people!
worship Allah! Ye have no other god but Him: will ye not fear
24. The chiefs of the Unbelievers among his people said: "He is
no more than man like yourselves: his wish is to assert his
superiority over you: if Allah had wished (to send messengers) He
could have sent down angels never did we hear such a thing (as he
says) among our ancestors of old."
25. (And some said:) "He is only a man possessed: wait (and have
patience) with him for a time."
26. (Noah) said: "O my Lord! help me: for that they accuse me of
27. So We inspired him (with this message): "Construct the Ark
within Our sight and under Our guidance: then when comes Our
command and the fountains of the earth gush forth take thou on
board pairs of every species male and female and thy family
except those of them against whom the Word has already gone
forth: and address Me not in favor of the wrongdoers; for they
shall be drowned (in the Flood)
28. And when thou hast embarked on the Ark thou and those with
thee say "Praise be to Allah Who has saved us from the people
who do wrong."
29. And say: "O my Lord! enable me to disembark with Thy
blessing: for Thou art the Best to enable (us) to disembark."
30. Verily in this there are Signs (for men to understand);
(thus) do We try (men)
31. Then We raised after them another generation;
32. And We sent to them an apostle from among themselves (saying)
"Worship Allah! ye have no other god but Him. Will ye not fear
33. And the chiefs of his people who disbelieved and denied the
Meeting in the Hereafter and on whom We had bestowed the good
things of this life said: "He is no more than a man like
yourselves; he eats of that of which ye eat and drinks of what ye
34. "If ye obey a man like yourselves behold it is certain ye
will be lost
35. "Does he promise that when ye die and become dust and bones
ye shall be brought forth (again)?
36. "Far very far is that which ye are promised!
37. "There is nothing but our life in this world! We shall die
and we live! But we shall never be raised up again!
38. "He is only a man who invents a lie against Allah but we are
not the ones to believe in him!"
39. (The prophet) said: "O my Lord! help me: for that they accuse
me of falsehood."
40. (Allah) said: "In but a little while they are sure to be
41. Then the Blast overtook them with justice and We made them as
rubbish of dead leaves (floating on the stream of Time)! So away
with the people who do wrong!
42. Then We raised after them other generations
43. No people can hasten their term nor can they delay (it)
44. Then sent We Our apostles in succession: every time there
came to a people their apostle they accused him of falsehood so
We made them follow each other (in punishment): We made them as a
tale (that is told): so away with a people that will not believe!
45. Then We sent Moses and his brother Aaron with Our Signs and
46. To Pharaoh and his Chiefs: but these behaved insolently: they
were arrogant people
47. They said: "Shall we believe in two men like ourselves? And
their people are subject to us!"
48. So they accused them of falsehood and they became of those
who were destroyed
49. And We gave Moses the Book in order that they might receive
50. And We made the son of Mary and his mother as a Sign: We gave
them both shelter on high ground affording rest and security and
furnished with springs
51. O ye apostles! enjoy (all) things good and pure and work
righteousness for I am well-acquainted with (all) that ye do
52. And verily this Brotherhood of yours is a single Brotherhood
and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore fear Me (and no
53. But people have cut off their affair (of unity) between them
into sects each party rejoices in that which is with itself
54. But leave them in their confused ignorance for a time
55. Do they think that because We have granted them abundance of
wealth and sons
56. We would hasten them on in every good? Nay they do not
57. Verily those who live in awe for fear of their Lord
58. Those who believe in the Signs of their Lord
59. Those who join not (in worship) partners with their Lord
60. And those who dispense their charity with their hearts full
of fear because they will return to their Lord
61. It is these who hasten in every good work and these who are
foremost in them
62. On no soul do We place a burden greater than it can bear:
before Us is a record which clearly shows the truth: they will
never be wronged
63. But their hearts are in confused ignorance of this; and there
are besides that deeds of theirs which they will (continue) to do
64. Until when We seize in Punishment those of them who received
the good things of this world behold they will groan in
65. It will be said: "Groan not in supplication this day; for ye
shall certainly not be helped by Us
66. "My Signs used to be rehearsed to you but ye used to turn
back on your heels
67. "In arrogance: talking nonsense about the (Qur'an) like one
telling fables by night."
68. Do they not ponder over the Word (of Allah) or has anything
(new) come to them that did not come to their fathers of old?
69. Or do they not recognize their Apostle that they deny him?
70. Or do they say "He is possessed"? Nay he has brought them the
Truth but most of them hate the Truth
71. If the Truth had been in accord with their desires truly the
heavens and the earth and all beings therein would have been in
confusion and corruption! Nay We have sent them their admonition
but they turn away from their admonition
72. Or is it that thou askest them for some recompense? But the
recompense of thy Lord is best: He is the Best of those who give
73. But verily thou callest them to the Straight Way
74. And verily those who believe not in the Hereafter are
deviating from that Way
75. If We had mercy on them and removed the distress which is on
them they would obstinately persist in their transgression
wandering in distraction to and fro
76. We inflicted Punishment on them but they humbled not
themselves to their Lord nor do they submissively entreat (Him)!
77. Until We open on them a gate leading to a severe Punishment:
then Lo! they will be plunged in despair therein!
78. It is He Who has created for you (the faculties of) hearing
sight feeling and understanding: little thanks it is ye give!
79. And He has multiplied you through the earth and to Him shall
ye be gathered back
80. It is He Who gives life and death and to Him (is due) the
alternation of Night and Day: will ye not then understand?
81. On the contrary they say things similar to what the ancients
82. They say: "What! when we die and become dust and bones could
we really be raised up again?
83. "Such things have been promised to us and to our fathers
before! They are nothing but tales of the ancients!"
84. Say: "To whom belong the earth and all beings therein? (Say)
if ye know!"
85. They will say "To Allah!" Say: "Yet will ye not receive
86. Say: "Who is the Lord of the seven heavens and the Lord of
the Throne (of Glory) Supreme?"
87. They will say "(They belong) to Allah." Say: "Will ye not
then be filled with awe?"
88. Say: "Who is it in whose hands is the governance of all
things who protects (all) but is not protected (of any)? (Say) if
89. They will say "(It belongs) to Allah." Say: "Then how are ye
90. We have sent them the Truth: but they indeed practice
91. No son did Allah beget nor is there any god along with Him:
(if there were many gods) behold each god would have taken away
what be had created and some would have lorded it over others!
Glory to Allah (He is free) from the (sort of) things they
attribute to Him!
92. He knows what is hidden and what is open: too high is He for
the partners they attribute to Him!
93. Say: "O my Lord! if Thou wilt show me (in my lifetime) that
which they are warned against
94. "Then O my Lord! put me not amongst the people who do wrong!"
95. And We are certainly able to show thee (in fulfillment) that
against which they are warned
96. Repel evil with that which is best: We are well-acquainted
with the things they say
97. And say: "O my Lord! I seek refuge with Thee from the
suggestions of the Evil Ones
98. "And I seek refuge with Thee O my Lord! lest they should come
99. (In Falsehood will they be) until when death comes to one of
them he says: "O my Lord! send me back (to life)
100. "In order that I may work righteousness in the things I
neglected." By no means! it is but a word he says before them is
a Partition till the Day they are raised up
101. Then when the Trumpet is blown there will be no more
relationships between them that day nor will one ask after
102. Then those whose balance (of good deeds) is heavy they will
103. But those whose balance is light will be those who have lost
their souls in Hell will they abide
104. The Fire will burn their faces and they will therein grin
with their lips displaced
105. "Were not My Signs rehearsed to you and ye did but treat
them as falsehoods?"
106. They will say: "Our Lord! our misfortune overwhelmed us and
we became a people astray!
107. "Our Lord! bring us out of this: if ever we return (to evil)
then shall we be wrongdoers indeed!"
108. He will say: "Be ye driven into it (with ignominy)! and
speak ye not to Me!
109. "A part of My servants there was who used to pray `Our Lord!
we believe then do Thou forgive us and have mercy upon us: for
Thou art the best of those Who show mercy!
110. "But ye treated them with ridicule so much so that (ridicule
of) them made you forget My Message while ye were laughing at
111. "I have rewarded them this day for their patience and
constancy: they are indeed the ones that have achieved Bliss"
112. He will say: "What number of years did ye stay on earth?"
113. They will say: "We stayed a day or part of a day: but ask
those who keep account."
114. He will say: "Ye stayed not but a little if ye had only
115. "Did ye then think that We had created you in jest and that
ye would not be brought back to Us (for account)?"
116. Therefore exalted be Allah the King the Reality; there is no
god but He the Lord of the Throne of Honor!
117. If anyone invokes besides Allah any other god he has no
authority therefor; and his reckoning will be only with his Lord!
And verily the Unbelievers will fail to win through!
118. So say: "O my Lord! grant thou forgiveness and mercy! for
Thou art the Best of those who show mercy!"
Back To Index Page