#27. Naml *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Ta Sin. These are verses of the Qur'an a Book that makes
2. A Guide; and Glad Tidings for the Believers
3. Those who establish regular prayers and give in regular
charity and also have (full) assurance of the Hereafter
4. As to those who believe not in the Hereafter We have made
their deeds pleasing in their eyes; and so they wander about in
5. Such are they for whom a grievous Penalty is (waiting): and in
the Hereafter theirs will be the greatest loss
6. As to thee the Qur'an is bestowed upon thee from the presence
of One Who is Wise and All-Knowing
7. Behold! Moses said to his family: "I perceive a fire; soon
will I bring you from there some information or I will bring you
a burning brand to light our fuel that ye may warm yourselves."
8. But when he came to the (Fire) a voice was heard: "Blessed are
those in the Fire and those around: and Glory to Allah the Lord
of the Worlds!
9. "O Moses! verily I am Allah the Exalted in Might the Wise!
10. "Now do thou throw thy rod!" But when he saw it moving (of
its own accord as if it had been a snake he turned back in
retreat and retraced not his steps: "O Moses (it was said) "fear
not: truly in My presence those calleda as apostles have no fear
11. "But if any have done wrong and have thereafter substituted
good to take the place of evil truly I am Oft-Forgiving Most
12. "Now put thy hand into thy bosom and it will come forth white
without stain (or harm): (these are) among the nine Signs (thou
wilt take) to Pharaoh and his people: for they are a people
rebellious in transgression
13. But when our Signs came to them that should have opened their
eyes they said: "This is sorcery manifest!"
14. And they rejected those Signs in iniquity and arrogance
though their souls were convinced thereof: so see what was the
end of those who acted corruptly!
15. We gave (in the past) knowledge to David and Solomon: and
they both said: "Praise be to Allah Who has favored us above many
of His servants who believe!"
16. And Solomon was David's heir. He said: "O ye people! we have
been taught the speech of Birds and on us has been bestowed (a
little) of all things:this is indeed Grace manifest (from
17. And before Solomon were marshalled his hosts of Jinns and men
and birds and they were all kept in order and ranks.
18. At length when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants one of
the ants said: "O ye ants get into your habitations lest Solomon
and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it ."
19. So he smiled amused at her speech; and he said: "O my Lord!
so order me that I may be grateful for Thy favors which Thou hast
bestowed on me and on my parents and that I may work the
righteousness that will please Thee: and admit me by Thy Grace to
the ranks of Thy righteous Servants."
20. And he took a muster of the Birds; and he said: "Why is it I
see not the Hoopoe? Or is he among the absentees?
21. "I will certainly punish him with a severe Penalty or execute
him unless he bring me a clear reason (for absence)."
22. But the Hoopoe tarried not far: he compassed (territory)
which thou hast not compassed and I have come to thee from Saba
with tidings true
23. "I found (there) a woman ruling over them and provided with
every requisite; and she has a magnificent throne
24. "I found her and her people worshipping the sun besides
Allah: Satan has made their deeds seem pleasing in their eyes and
has kept them away from the Path so they receive no guidance
25. "(Kept them away from the Path) that they should not worship
Allah Who brings to light what is hidden in the heavens and the
earth and knows what ye hide and what ye reveal
26. "Allah! there is no god but He! Lord of the Throne Supreme!"
27. (Solomon) said: "Soon shall we see whether thou hast told the
truth or lied!
28. "Go thou with this letter of mine and deliver it to them:
then draw back from them and (wait to) see what answer they
29. (The Queen) said: "Ye chiefs! here is delivered to me a
letter worthy of respect
30. "It is from Solomon and is (as follows): `In the name of
Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
31. " `Be ye not arrogant against me but come to me in submission
to the true Religion.' "
32. She said: "Ye chiefs! advise me in (this) my affair: no
affair have I decided except in your presence."
33. They said: "We are endued with strength and given to vehement
war: but the command is with thee; so consider what thou wilt
34. She said: "Kings when they enter a country despoil it and
make the noblesty of its people its meanest: thus do they behave
35. "But I am going to send him a present and (wait) to see with
what (answer) return (my) ambassadors."
36. How when (the embassy) came to Solomon he said: "Will ye give
me abundance in wealth? But that which Allah has given me is
better than that which He has given you! Nay it is ye who rejoice
in your gift!
37. "Go back to them and be sure we shall come to them with such
hosts as they will never be able to meet: we shall expel them
from there in disgrace and they will feel humbled (indeed)."
38. He said (to his own men): "Ye Chiefs! which of you can bring
me her throne before they come to me in submission?"
39. Said an Ifrit of the Jinns: "I will bring it to thee before
thou rise from thy Council: indeed I have full strength for the
purpose and may be trusted."
40. Said one who had knowledge of the Book: "I will bring it to
thee within the twinkling of an eye!" Then when (Solomon) saw it
placed firmly before him he said: "This is by the grace of my
Lord! to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful! And if any
is grateful truly his gratitude is (a gain) for his own soul; but
if any is ungrateful truly my Lord is Free of All Needs Supreme
41. He said: "Transform her throne out of all recognition by her:
let us see whether she is guided (to the truth) or is one of
those who receive no guidance."
42. So when she arrived she was asked "Is this thy throne?" She
said "It was just like this; and knowledge was bestowed on us in
advance of this and we have submitted to Allah (in Islam)."
43. And he diverted her from the worship of others besides Allah:
for she was (sprung) of a people that had no faith
44. She was asked to enter that lofty Palace: but when she saw it
she thought it was a lake of water and she (tucked up her skirts)
uncovering her legs. He said. "This is but a palace paved smooth
with slabs of glass." She said: "O my Lord! I have indeed wronged
my soul: I do (now) submit (in Islam) with Solomon to the Lord of
45. We sent (aforetime) to the Thamud their brother Salih saying
"Serve Allah": but behold they became two factions quarrelling
with each other
46. He said: "O my people! why ask ye to hasten on the evil in
preference to the good? If only ye ask Allah for forgiveness ye
may hope to receive mercy."
47. They said: "I'll omen do we augur from thee and those that
are with thee." He said: "Your ill omen is with Allah; yea ye are
a people under trial."
48. There were in the City nine men of a family who made mischief
in the land and would not reform
49. They said: "Swear a mutual oath by Allah that we shall make a
secret night attack on him and his people and that we shall then
say to his heir (when he seeks vengeance): `We were not present
at the slaughter of his people and we are positively telling the
50. They plotted and planned but We too planned even while they
perceived it not
51. Then see what was the end of their plot! this that we
destroyed them and their people all (of them)
52. Now such were their houses in utter ruin because they
practiced wrong doing Verily in this is a Sign for people of
53. And We saved those who believed and practiced righteousness
54. We also sent Lut (as an apostle): behold he said to his
people "Do ye do what is shameful though ye see (its iniquity)?
55. "Would ye really approach men in your lusts rather than
women? Nay ye are a people (grossly) ignorant!"
56. But his people gave no other answer but this: they said
"Drive out the followers of Lut from your city: these are indeed
men who want to be clean and pure!"
57. But We saved him and his family except his wife: her We
destined to be of those who lagged behind
58. And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil
was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)!
59. Say: Praise be to Allah and Peace on His servants whom He has
chosen (for his Message). (Who) is better? Allah or the false
gods they associate with Him?
60. Or who has created the heaven and the earth and who sends you
down rain from the sky? Yea with it We cause to grow well-planted
orchards full of beauty and delight: it is not in your power to
cause the growth of the trees in them. (Can there be another) god
besides Allah? Nay they are a people who swerve from justice
61. Or who has made the earth firm to live in; made rivers in its
midst; set thereon mountains immovable; and made a separating bar
between the two bodies of flowing water? (Can there be another)
god besides Allah? Nay most of them know not
62. Or who listens to the (soul) distressed when it calls on Him
and who relieves its suffering and makes you (mankind) inheritors
of the earth? (Can there be another) god besides Allah? Little it
is that ye heed!
63. Or who guides you through the depths of darkness on land and
sea and who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings going
before His mercy? (Can there be another) god besides Allah? high
is Allah above what they associate with Him!
64. Or who originates Creation then repeats it and who gives you
sustenance from heaven and earth? (Can there be another) god
besides Allah? Say "Bring forth your argument if ye are telling
65. Say: None in the heavens or on earth except Allah knows what
is hidden: nor can they perceive when they shall be raised up
66. Still less can their knowledge comprehend the Hereafter: nay
they are in doubt and uncertainty thereanent; nay they are blind
67. The Unbelievers say: "What! when we become dust we and our
fathers- -shall we really be raised (from the dead)?
68. "It is true we were promised this we and our fathers before
(us): these are nothing but tales of the ancients."
69. Say: "Go ye through the earth and see what has been the end
of those guilty (of sin)."
70. But grieve not over them nor distress thyself because of
71. They also say: "When will this promise (come to pass)? (Say)
if ye are truthful."
72. Say: "It may be that some of the events which ye wish to
hasten on may be (close) in your pursuit!"
73. But verily thy Lord is full of grace to mankind: yet most of
them are ungrateful
74. And verily thy Lord knoweth all that their hearts do hide as
well as all that they reveal
75. Nor is there aught of the Unseen in heaven or earth but is
(recorded) in a clear record
76. Verily this Qur'an doth explain to the Children of Israel
most of the matters in which they disagree
77. And it certainly is a Guide and Mercy to those who believe
78. Verily thy Lord will decide between them by His Decree: and
He is Exalted in Might All-Knowing
79. So put thy trust in Allah: for thou art on (the Path of)
80. Truly thou canst not cause the Dead to listen nor canst thou
cause the Deaf to hear the call (especially) when they turn back
81. Nor canst thou be a guide to the Blind (to prevent them) from
straying; only those wilt thou get to listen who believe in Our
Signs and they will bow in Islam
82. And when the Word is fulfilled against them (the unjust) We
shall produce from the earth a beast to (face) them: he will
speak to them for that mankind did not believe with assurance in
83. One Day We shall gather together from every people a troop of
those who reject Our Signs and they shall be kept in ranks
84. Until when they come (before the Judgment-Seat) Allah will
say: "Did ye reject My Signs though ye comprehended them not in
knowledge or what was it ye did?"
85. And the Word will be fulfilled against them because of their
wrongdoing and they will be unable to speak (in plea)
86. See they not that We have made the Night for them to rest in
and the Day to give them light? Verily in this are Signs for any
people that believe!
87. And the Day that the Trumpet will be sounded then will be
smitten with terror those who are in the heavens and those who
are on earth except such as Allah will please (to exempt): and
all shall come to His (Presence) as beings conscious of their
88. Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed: but
they shall pass away as the clouds pass away: (such is) the
artistry of Allah Who disposes of all things in perfect order:
for He is well- acquainted with all that ye do
89. If any do good good will (accrue) to them therefrom; and they
will be secure from terror that Day
90. And if any do evil their faces will be thrown headlong into
the Fire: "Do ye receive a reward other than that which ye have
earned by your deeds?"
91. For me I have been commanded to serve the Lord of this City
Him Who has sanctified it and to Whom (belong) all things: and I
am commanded to be of those who bow in Islam to Allah's Will
92. And to rehearse the Qur'an: and if any accept guidance they
do it for the good of their own souls and if any stray say: "I am
only a Warner."
93. And say: "Praise be to Allah Who will soon show you His Signs
so that ye shall know them"; and thy Lord is not unmindful of all
that ye do
Back To Index Page