#37. Saaffat *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. By those who range themselves in ranks.
2. And so are strong in repelling (evil)
3. And thus proclaim the message (of Allah)!
4. Verily verily your Allah is One!
5. Lord of the heavens and of the earth and all between them and
Lord of every point at the rising of the sun!
6. We have indeed decked the lower heaven with beauty (in) the
7. (For beauty) and for guard against all obstinate rebellious
8. (So) they should not strain their ears in the direction of the
Exalted Assembly but be cast away from every side
9. Repulsed for they are under a perpetual penalty
10. Except such as snatch away something by stealth and they are
pursued by a flaming fire of piercing brightness
11. Just ask their opinion: are they the more difficult to create
or the (other) beings We have created? Them have We created out
of a sticky clay!
12. Truly dost thou marvel while they ridicule
13. And when they are admonished pay no heed
14. And when they see a Sign turn it to mockery
15. And say "This is nothing but evident sorcery!
16. "What! when we die and become dust and bones shall we (then)
be raised up (again)?"
17. "And also our fathers of old?"
18. Say thou: "Yea and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of
19. Then it will be a single (compelling) cry; and behold they
will begin to see!
20. They will say "Ah! woe to us! This is the Day of Judgement!"
21. (A voice will say) "This is the Day of Sorting Out whose
truth ye (once) denied!"
22. -Bring ye up" it shall be said "The wrongdoers and their
wives and the things they worshipped
23. "Besides Allah and lead them to the Way to the (Fierce)
24. "But stop them for they must be asked"
25. " `What is the matter with you that ye help not each other?'"
26. Nay but that day they shall submit (to Judgment)
27. And they will turn to one another and question one another
28. They will say: "It was ye who used to come to us from the
right hand (of power and authority)!"
29. They will reply: "Nay ye yourselves had no faith!
30. "Nor had we any authority over you. Nay it was ye who were a
people in obstinate rebellion!
31. "So now has been proved true against us the Word of our Lord
that we shall indeed (have to) taste (the punishment of our
32. "We led you astray: for truly we were ourselves astray."
33. Truly that day they will (all) share in the Penalty
34. Verily that is how We shall deal with Sinners
35. For they when they were told that there is no god except
Allah would puff themselves up with Pride
36. And say: "What! shall we give up our gods for the sake of a
37. Nay! He has come with the (very) Truth and he confirms (the
Message of) the apostles (before Him)
38. Ye shall indeed taste of the Grievous Penalty
39. But it will be no more than the retribution of (the Evil)
that ye have wrought
40. But the sincere (and devoted) servants of Allah
41. For them is a Sustenance Determined
42. Fruits (Delights) and they (shall enjoy) honor and dignity
43. In Gardens of Felicity
44. Facing each other on Thrones (of dignity)
45. Round will be passed to them a Cup from a clear-flowing
46. Crystal-white of a taste delicious to those who drink
47. Free from headiness; nor will they suffer intoxication
48. And beside them will be chaste women; restraining their
glances with big eyes (of wonder and beauty)
49. As if they were (delicate) eggs closely guarded
50. Then they will turn to one another and question one another
51. One of them will start the talk and say: "I had an intimate
companion (on the earth)
52. "Who used to say `What! art thou amongst those who bear
witness to the truth (of the Message)?
53. " `When we die and become dust and bones shall we indeed
receive rewards and punishments?'"
54. (A voice) said: "Would ye like to look down?"
55. He looked down and saw him in the midst of the Fire
56. He said: "By Allah! thou wast little short of bringing me to
57. "Had it not been for the Grace of my Lord I should certainly
have been among those brought (there)!
58. "Is it (the case) that we shall not die
59. "Except our first death and that we shall not be punished?"
60. Verily this is the supreme achievement!
61. For the like of this let all strive who wish to strive
62. Is that the better entertainment or the Tree of Zaqqum?
63. For We have truly made it (as) a trial for the wrongdoers
64. For it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell Fire:
65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils
66. Truly they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith
67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of
68. Then shall their return be to the (Blazing) Fire
69. Truly they found their fathers on the wrong Path
70. So they (too) were rushed down on their footsteps!
71. And truly before them many of the ancients went astray
72. But We sent aforetime among them (apostles) to admonish them
73. Then see what was the end of those who were admonished (but
74. Except the sincere (and devoted) servants of Allah
75. (In the days of old) Noah cried to Us and We are the Best to
76. And We delivered him and his people from the Great Calamity
77. And made his progeny to endure (on this earth)
78. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations to come
in later times
79. "Peace and salutation to Noah among the nations!"
80. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right
81. For he was one of Our believing Servants
82. Then the rest We overwhelmed in the Flood
83. Verily among those who followed his Way was Abraham
84. Behold He approached his Lord with a sound heart
85. Behold he said to his father and to his people "What is that
which ye worship?
86. "Is it a Falsehood gods other than Allah that ye desire?
87. "Then what is your idea about the Lord of the Worlds?"
88. Then did he cast a glance at the stars
89. And he said "I am indeed sick (at heart)!"
90. So they turned away from him and departed
91. Then did he turn to their gods and said "Will ye not eat (of
the offerings before you)?
92. "What is the matter with you that ye speak not
93. Then did he turn upon them striking (them) with the right
94. Then came (the worshippers) with hurried steps and faced
95. He said: "Worship ye that which ye have (yourselves) carved?
96. "But Allah has created you and your handiwork!"
97. They said: "Build him a furnace and throw him into the
98. (This failing) they then sought a stratagem against him but
We made them the ones most humiliated!
99. He said: "I will go to my Lord! He will surely guide me!
100. "O my Lord! grant me a righteous (son)!"
101. So We gave him the good news of a boy ready to suffer and
102. Then when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with
him he said: "O my son! I see in vision that I offer thee in
sacrifice: now see what is thy view!" (The son) said: "O my
father! do as thou art commanded thou will find me if Allah so
wills one practicing Patience and Constancy!"
103. So when they had both submitted their wills (to Allah) and
He had laid Him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice)
104. We called out to him "O Abraham!"
105. "Thou hast already fulfilled the vision!" thus indeed do We
reward those who do right
106. For this was obviously a trial
107. And We ransomed him with a momentous sacrifice
108. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to
come) in later times:
109. "Peace and salutation to Abraham!"
110. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right
111. For he was one of Our believing Servants
112. And We gave him the good news of Isaac a prophet one of the
113. We blessed him and Isaac: but of their progeny are (some)
that do right and (some) that obviously do wrong to their own
114. Again (of old) We bestowed Our favor on Moses and Aaron
115. And We delivered them and their people from (their) Great
116. And We helped them so they overcame (their troubles)
117. And We gave them the Book which helps to make things clear
118. And We guided them to the Straight Way
119. And We left (this blessing) for them among generations (to
come) in later times
120. "Peace and salutation to Moses and Aaron!"
121. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right
122. For they were two of Our believing Servants
123. So also was Elias among those sent (by us)
124. Behold he said to his people "Will ye not fear (Allah)?
125. "Will ye call upon Baal and forsake the Best of Creators"
126. "Allah your Lord and Cherisher and the Lord and Cherisher of
your fathers of old?"
127. But they rejected him and they will certainly be called up
128. Except the sincere and devoted Servants of Allah (among
129. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to
come) in later times
130. "Peace and salutation to such as Elias!"
131. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right
132. For He was one of Our believing Servants
133. So also was Lut among those sent (by us)
134. Behold We delivered him and his adherents all
135. Except an old woman who was among those who lagged behind
136. Then We destroyed the rest
137. Verily ye pass by their (sites) by day
138. And by night: will ye not understand?
139. So also was Jonah among those sent (by us)
140. When he ran away (like slave from captivity) to the ship
141. He (agreed to) cast lots and he was condemned
142. Then the big Fish did swallow him and he had done acts
worthy of blame
143. Had it not been that he (repented and) glorified Allah
144. He would certainly have remained inside the Fish till the
Day of Resurrection
145. But We cast him forth on the naked shore in a state of
146. And We caused to grow over him a spreading plant of the
147. And We sent him (on a mission) to a hundred thousand (men)
148. And they believed; so We permitted them to enjoy (their
life) for a while
149. Now ask them their opinion: is it that thy Lord has (only)
daughters and a they have sons?
150. Or that We created the angels female and they are witnesses
151. Is it not that they say from their own invention
152. "Allah has begotten children"? But they are liars!
153. Did He (then) choose daughters rather than sons?
154. What is the matter with you? How judge ye?
155. Will ye not then receive admonition?
156. Or have ye an authority manifest?
157. Then bring ye your Book (of authority) if ye be truthful!
158. And they have invented a blood-relationship between Him and
the Jinns; but the Jinns know (quite well) that they have indeed
to appear (before His judgment-seat)!
159. Glory to Allah! (He is free) from the things they ascribe
160. Not (so do) the servants of Allah sincere and devoted
161. For verily neither ye nor those ye worship
162. Can lead (any) into temptation concerning Allah?
163. Except such as are (themselves) going to the blazing Fire!
164. (Those ranged in ranks say): "Not one of us but has a place
165. "And we are verily ranged in ranks (for service)
166. "And we are verily those who declare (Allah's) glory!"
167. And there were those who said
168. "If only we had had before us a message from those of old
169. "We should certainly have been servants of Allah sincere
170. But (now that the Qur'an has come) they reject it: but soon
will they know!
171. Already has Our Word been passed before (this) to Our
Servants sent (by Us)
172. That they would certainly be assisted
173. And that Our forces they surely must conquer
174. So turn thou away from them for a little while
175. And watch them (how they fare) and they soon shall see (how
176. Do they wish (indeed) to hurry on Our Punishment?
177. But when it descends into the open space before them evil
will be the morning for those who were warned (and heeded not)!
178. So turn thou away from them for a little while
179. And watch (how they fare) and they soon shall see (how thou
180. Glory to thy Lord the Lord of Honor and Power! (He is free)
from what they ascribe (to Him)!
181. And Peace on the Apostles!
182. And praise to Allah the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds
Back To Index Page